Joshua Chamas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> RESULTS:
>
> [hello]# ./bench.pl -time=60
> Test Name                 Test File    Hits/sec     Total Hits   Total Time   Total
>Bytes
> ------------              ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------
>------------
> HTML Static               hello.html   1211.6       50000 hits   41.27 sec
>12450249 byt
> ModPerl Handler           hello.bench   888.9       50000 hits   56.25 sec
>6700268 byte
[...]

IME, simple mod_perl handlers typically run around 50% as fast as
HTML static pages.  Your hello world benchmark seems to be slightly
misleading in this respect, since the content-length is small
relative to the header size.

For your HTML Static, I would guess that the headers delivered are
significantly larger than the ones returned by your modperl handler.
Hence for 50000 hits, there is a significant discrepancy in the
total bytes delivered.  This skews the hits/sec numbers in the
favor of content handlers that deliver shorter headers.

To use HTML Static as a baseline comparison for dynamic content
handlers, I think you should ensure that the headers delivered
are comparable to those that are dynamically generated.

Best.
--
Joe Schaefer