At 12:16 15/12/2000 -0800, Perrin Harkins wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> I'm working on a modperl site that doesn't presently handle HEAD
>> requests properly (it returns the entire content).
>
>If all the information you need to generate a given page is in the URL,
>you can also let mod_proxy cache it and handle the HEAD requests for you.
>Even if these pages depend on cookies, you can use mod_rewrite in the
>proxy server to put them into the URL before requesting the page from the
>mod_perl server, creating a unique and cacheable (sp?) URL.
>
>Of course you could also do this caching on the mod_perl server yourself
>and let Apache handle these pages with core (i.e. as static), but that
>sounds like more work.

That's indeed how I would handle it (and in fact, do handle it in other
cases) if it were possible. However, a great majority of those pages are
generated from a database that changes very very frequently so that
caching/static writing wouldn't be really efficient in most cases. There's
no telling when the db changes (which rules out caching) and writing all
the possible pages to disk is, well, probably not really advisable in this
case (lots of data and possible combinations).

-- robin b.
James Joyce -- an essentially private man who wished his total indifference
to public notice to be universally recognized. -- Tom Stoppard