I'm curious about this, as I did exactly the same under CGI just a couple of
days ago. The console behaviour is different under mod_perl... With regular
CGI, the backticks capture STDOUT with no extra code - the same code in a
mod_perl handler always brings up a console window. I've tried using the
Windows START.EXE /B, and that works also fine under CGI but not mod_perl.
Using system() exhibits the same behaviour...

I'd imagine the main difference is the tied STDIN/OUT under mod_perl? I
don't know much about this yet, though I'll probably continue playing with
it now until I do! :) I've got simple code for the CGI and mod_perl handlers
- email if you want a copy... These are of course *very* silly scripts to
leave running on a server, though! ;)

Rufus.