On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Gunther Birznieks wrote:

> I share your concern Stas.
>
> But I also suspect that if the suggestions looked odd, I doubt they would
> blindly accept the web-based votes.  Can't entirely rule out bugs in the
> voting system and people voting multiple times...
>
> However, I think it's an excellent idea to at least get an idea of what the
> people generally seem to say that they want.

I've contacted the ASF proposing the voting inside groups, to make things
fair. Otherwise it's clear which sessions will go in and which not. I
don't think voting will really help here.

Once you tell php fans to choose between php talks, mod_perl fans to
choose between mod_perl talks, and httpd fans between httpd talks,
etc. The voting will be more fair.

We have seen ASF doing this mistake once already: The Apoloosa awards last
spring, when there was an attempt to choose the people who have
contributed the most. And as I was told many people who have contributed a
lot, but aren't known by community, because they aren't speakers, book
writers, etc. but doing the dirty work didn't even enter the selection
list. This was mistake number one.

Mistake number two was to vote across all projects, so of course php
leader has won and mod_perl was second, but I think that each project had
to be awarded separately.

Well, they do this mistake again.

And I'm not talking about mod_perl here, I'm not worried about mod_perl
talks voted -- we have a huge community (I hope the editors of take23 take
notes :). I'm more worried about other emerging technologies which might
be left behind.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/