Peter Demling wrote:

> Greetings from a 1st-time poster,
>
> I'm a seasoned web programmer, but a Perl beginner and
> mod_perl stranger who has an "as soon as possible"
> mod_perl script to write for our Apache web server, so
> I'd appreciate any recommendations for books or code
> you may have, which could assist me in my task.  What
> I have to do is as follows:
>
> Write a mod_perl script which will: 1] be invoked
> (with parameters) by a web client; 2] use its input
> parameters to construct an SQL statement; 3] query an
> Oracle database on a seperate machine with the
> constructed SQL statement; 4] use the returned query
> results to set the values of some variables; 5] use
> these variables to construct HTML output, and send it
> back to the web client.
>
> I'm a quick-read, so as a Perl beginner who wants to
> keep the script as simple as possible, I'm assuming
> that "Learning Perl" is the best text for me, but does
> anyone think that "Programming Perl" OR "The Perl
> Cookbook" might be a better choice?  I'm also thinking
> that "Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C" will be
> neccessary, but perhaps the online mod_perl guide
> would be sufficient?

IMHO Learning Perl is a little basic for someone with a bit of
programming experience - if you have little experience then read it.

Apache Modules in Perl & C has is some excellent book - and has some
good examples.

I find the Cookbook excellent for the answer to the "How do I do XXX ?"
questions.

Read the Guide - period !

> Last, I'm assuming that the basic structure of this
> databse-driven web script is fairly common, so any
> pointers to relevant code I could base this on would
> be greatly appreciated.

>From the above you will have lots of examples to choose from.

Greg Cope