In upgrading to 1.24_01 I notice some warnings when the apache starts
that I don't remember being present.

Specifically resulting from the inclusion of perl handlers i.e.

  PerlRequire /usr/local/apache/libhandlers/client23.pm

where the identical handler is used for both http and https service

Upon seeing the PerlRequire for the same handler the second time,
warnings are issued for redefinition of constants in
"use vars qw(blah....
although perl is smart enough not to issue the warning for @INC

The warning is a little peculiar, in that the 'vars' are not
recognized as such. Example:
 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpsdctl start
Constant subroutine con redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/constant.pm line
91.
Constant subroutine LogSerial redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/constant.pm
line 91.
Constant subroutine var redefined at /usr/lib/perl5/constant.pm line
91.
Subroutine pkg redefined at /usr/local/apache/libhandlers/client23.pm
line 64.
Subroutine AUTOLOAD redefined at
/usr/local/apache/libhandlers/client23.pm line 75

The last two are real in the sense that there is a custom autoload
subroutine and a 'pkg' subroutine.

The warnings about the variables are mis-leading since what is
redefined is a 'var', not a 'sub'.

While these warnings don't hurt anything. It is my
recollection that they did not occur in 123 and 124, only in _01
but.... my memory may be fuzzy and I don't have a machine with the
older versions. The problem is that with a lot of virtual domains
using both https and http service, this clutters up the start up
process and buries in 'noise' any real info that might help if there
is a problem. Is there a way to turn it off??? Is it necessary or
even truthfully reporting what is going on given the desirability of
reusing code??

Michael
[EMAIL PROTECTED]