On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Paul J. Lucas wrote:

>       I looked in the archives for this problem and, while mentioned,
>       not definitive solution was apparantly found.  I did notice the
>       handler get called once, but only once: total server shutowns
>       and restarts don't make it get called.
>
>       I'm using Apache 1.3.12, mod_perl 1.24_01, Perl 5.6 under Linux.

the distribution test suite has a ChildInitHandler that does this:
$s->warn("[notice] child_init for process $$, report any problems to $sa\n");

% make start_httpd_fork
% grep 'child_init for process' t/logs/error_log | wc -l
      5
% echo > t/logs/error_log
% kill -HUP `cat t/logs/httpd.pid `
%  grep 'child_init for process' t/logs/error_log | wc -l
      5
% echo > t/logs/error_log
% kill -USR1 `cat t/logs/httpd.pid `
%  grep 'child_init for process' t/logs/error_log | wc -l
      5
% make kill_httpd

looks like it works fine.   also using 5.6.0, linux, apache
1.3.15-dev, mod_perl-1.24_02-dev.  if you could try the above and/or
provide a small test case that breaks, i'll have a look.