On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Vivek Khera wrote:

> In answering another question today, I noticed that the variable
> $Apache::Registry::NameWithVirtualHost is not documented in the
> perldoc for Apache::Registry.
>
> While scanning the Registry.pm file, I further noticed that there is a
> call to $r->get_server_name for the virtual host name.  This too is
> not documented in perldoc Apache.  The only documented way I see to
> get this from the $r object is to use $r->server->server_hostname.

i think you'll find plenty more that is not documented in the pods.
when i started working on the eagle book with lincoln, i focused all
documention effort there.  i had hoped at some point the mod_perl docs
would get a major overhaul, just hasn't happened yet.  but patches have
been coming in to fill holes, more are always welcome.

> Should $r->get_server_name() be documented, or is it a "private"
> method?  It seems wasteful to create an Apache::Server object just to
> fetch the virtual host name.

$r->get_server_name is public, and is already used in Registry/PerlRun,
but $r->server->is_virtual is still used.