On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 01:42:44PM -0600, Christian Gilmore wrote:

> Hey. I see in mod_perl's INSTALL document that there's a required patch
> for DynaLoader if you intend to run mod_perl as DSO on AIX (4.3) with
> perl-5.005_3. Is patching required for 5.6? If so, will the same patch in
> the INSTALL doc apply?

Unfortunately this is a bit complicated and it depends upon AIX version.
For AIX versions before 4.3 yes, and I posted the patch on this list a
while ago. But as you are using AIX 4.3 this is not required any more if
you are careful upon configuring perl. The Configure script on AIX will
offer to use the pre-AIX 4.3 specific dynamic loader dl_aix.xs, but do
not use that, use dl_dlopen.xs instead. Apache does that configuration
decision automatically nowadays.

The point is that on earlier AIX versions it was needed to use a set of
emulation routines to emulate the dlopen family of routines with the AIX
native facilities. In later versions IBM added dlopen so the emulation
is not necessary. Indeed it appears that if both the AIX native dlopen
(referenced from Apache) and the emulation one (referenced from Perl) is
used in one process a conflict arises causing Apache module loads to
fail.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH