On a visit to Alaska (the Perl Whirl) we visited the Alaska
Department of Technology or something similar (I honestly don't
remember) where they were running an IBM S390 with partitions for NT,
Linux, and a few other operating systems.

The S390 appearently runs some type of software that allows you to
set limits on your partitions, so no matter what, you always have
some percentage of the CPU at your disposal.

This is not the case with the Sun 10000.  With that machine, you must
explicity set which processors you want partitioned to your virtual
box.  With a 16 processor Sun 10000, you could set up four, four
processor Sun virtual machines, all sharing the same hard drives and
external adapters (NIC cards and serial ports).

Large systems like this are dying, as they generally require much
more knowledge than simply establishing a server farm of the same
capabilities.  It's much easier to higher people to set up 50 boxes
(linux, NT, BSD, Solaris) than it is to find people that can
configure an S390 or Sun 10000.

Rob