> make test has various errors (failed 18 total)
> how do i debug these and fix them?

The test routines are just ordinary perl code that exercise various
portions of the module. It is like debugging any other perl code.
I don't suppose that was the answer you wanted, but that's the way it
works. You might start by finding the variable VERBOSE in the
makefile and setting it to '1'

Michael