On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Daniel Sully wrote:

> > You could use an IPC or DBM file (assuming you have 1 apache machine) to
> > communicate this info.  With multiple webservers, you'd need a database or
> > NFS or something.
>
> That would be a no. Socket communication only. Shared filesystems in
> production are bad, mmkay.

I'm not sure which you're referring to, my suggestion that you use a DBM
file (with locking, of course) on 1 machine or NFS.  I have no experience
with NFS myself but I've heard of other using it for such things (or
trying to, at least).  I would think a database would end up being the
simplest way to do this sort of information passing.

-dave

www.urth.org
We await the New Sun