On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:13:55AM +0100, Robin Berjon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't think so. The browser would be right to treat &reg; as an entity,
> not &reg.

But why? It's not HTML in the first place, so expecting from clients to
interpret it in one way or another is not sensible.

> If it had proper heuristics for dealing with poor HTML, it'd
> detect that there is no ; in sight for the next n chars, or that reg= isn't

While one might rgue that clients should apply heuristics, given the large
amount of borken html out there, one has to remember that the source for
this broken html WAS sloppy html parsers with heuristics. If netscape and
mosaic had flagged syntax errors nobody would expect browsers to implement
heuristics today :(

> However, I agree that people should try their best to write proper html. If

Especially since you can only choose between theoretically incorerct and
in practise sometimes not working AND theoretically correct and working
alway sin practise I think the choise should be clear ;)

> somehow despise it. Think twice: take out the html, what's left of your
> site ? XHTML clearly forbids such wrong constructs (won't even parse if you
> get it wrong) and that's cool. It's like use strict for HTML.

Which is exactly my point ;) Implying this is a browser bug will only make
more people insist on outputting "correct" code. After all, the clients
must be fixed ;->