> I am trying to install several modules using CPAN. I am having trouble
> with URI...

well, this is wrong forum to ask this question. Under mod_perl we usually
use Apache::URI and not URI, since the former is implemented in C and
therefore it's faster.

However, since this question is quite generic and may help other users of
mod_perl I'll try to give you some hints.

> I get an error on heuristic test 6 when I try to install URI or the
> Bundle::LWP (which installs URI). How do I correct this error?

You get off CPAN shell, go into the build directory (/root/.cpan/build on
my machine). Then you cd into URI source directory and look at the test
file that has failed:

more t/heuristic.t:
[snip]
if (gethostbyname("www.netscape.com")) {
    # DNS probably work, lets run test 6..8

    $URI::Heuristic::MY_COUNTRY = "no";
    print "not " unless uf_urlstr("perl/camel.gif") eq
"http://www.perl.com/camel.gif";
    print "ok 6\n";
[snip]

that's where it fails. It works for me. You may want to run the test in
the verbose mode:

 % make test TEST_VERBOSE=1
[snip]
t/heuristic.........1..14
uf_uristr: resolving http://www.sn.no/
uf_uristr: ==> http://www.sn.no/
uf_uristr: resolving /etc/passwd
uf_uristr: ==> file:/etc/passwd
uf_uristr: resolving ./foo.txt
uf_uristr: ==> file:./foo.txt
uf_uristr: resolving ftp.aas.no/lwp.tar.gz
uf_uristr: ==> ftp://ftp.aas.no/lwp.tar.gz
uf_uristr: resolving C:\CONFIG.SYS
uf_uristr: ==> file:C:\CONFIG.SYS
uf_uristr: resolving perl/camel.gif
[snip]

the last row works for me, and that's where it fails for you.

> I'm new to mod_perl and would like to figure out what test is failing
> and why. But heuristic test number 6 means nothing to me, and I couldn't
> find any answers in the mailing list archives or the mailing list FAQ.
> Any help is appreciated as I am at a loss as to how to go about fixing
> this.

perldoc ExtUtils::MakeMaker

and finally this might be a minor misbehavior and you might want to
install the module anyway, hoping that it will not use this feature in
this test. To do that from shell you just run 'make install' and under
CPAN shell, you run  'force install URI' which will ignore the result of
'make test'.

Hope that this helps...

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/