Hello,

I have a high traffic website (looks like 200 GB output per month,
something around 100000-200000 hits per day) hosted on a commercial
service. The service does not limit my bandwidth usage, but they limit the
number of concurrent Apache process that I can have to 41. This causes the
server to delay accepting new connections during peak times.

My account is a "virtual server"; what this means is that I have access to
the Apache httpd.conf files and can restart the Apache daemon, but do not
have the priviledge to bind a program to port 80 (so I can't put thttpd on
port 80).

I was thinking of serving the HTML files from Apache and the JPG files
from thttpd (thttpd uses select() so it always only uses up one process,
no matter how many connections it's handling) on port 8080, but there's
one disadvantage: People who browse my site from behind certain firewalls
can only see port 80.

Does anyone know of a way to configure Apache so that it will pass port 80
traffic onto port 8080 somehow, without having access to modify the
binary? It would have to do this without needing to spawn a child for
every request though. Or is this impossible?

Thanks,

-Philip Mak ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

P.S. Is there a mailing list for general Apache questions somewhere? I
can't seem to find one.