I've been writing a handler on a test box which uses the DBI->connect
method, no problem, only my Perl authoring skills are at fault.

Its based on Slackware 7.1, with Apache 1.3.14, mod_perl 1.24_01, and
mod_ssl 2.7.1. I have DBI 1.14 and msql-mysql 1.2215 with Perl
5.6.0. MySQL version is 3.22.32.

Once I got this satisfactory, I transferred it to the "production" box,
which is running the same versions of everything, except it also has PHP
4.0.4pl1 and also mod_gzip 1.3.14.6e. Apart from that it has the same
versions of everything, same base distro too.

On this box, I'm getting the behaviour noted by a few other posts I've
read on the archive. This is the DBI->connect leading to a segfault with
little or no useful information in the logs.

I've gone through the archive, and I can't find any solution apart from a
source hack which is advised against.

Is there any other solution to this problem? I can't down the production
apache box without good cause as apart from my handler, the box is
behaving as expected.

BTW I can write trivial DBI scripts which when run from a shell, work
fine, it's just when run under a handler (.pm).

Any pointers are appreciated

Thanks

Matt