I am running a site with:

Apache 1.3.9
mod perl 1.21
HTML::Embperl

The site is relatively busy - up to 30000 hits a day, and has been
running fine for over a year. However in the last two weeks I
have found that I am ending up with a large number of httpd
processes that don't die.

Looking with apache status shows nothing out of the ordinary -
the processes are usually in the W (sending reply) state -
however ps shows them as

[httpd]

rather than the more normal

/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd

which I thought indicated a process that had stopped responding.

Attaching with strace shows the processes are *always* sitting at:

read(46,

Problem is, that Apache seems to ignore these processes and start new ones
without killing them - so I end up with *hundreds* of http processes with
the machine swapping like crazy.

The rogue processes also haven't reached their MaxRequestsPerChild limit of
100 yet either - they are usually at about 20 or 30 or so...

Any ideas as to what I could try to find out what is happening would
be much appreciated - at the moment I am having to kill them all off
with a script at regular intervals!

Chris Allen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]