----- Original Message -----
From: "Perrin Harkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Andrew Ho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Issac Goldstand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: cgi_to_mod_perl manpage suggestion

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Andrew Ho wrote:
> > PH>Um, you're getting me confused now, but PerlSendHeader On means that
> > PH>mod_perl WILL send headers.

  I still think that the above line is confusing:  It is because mod_perl is
not sending headers by itelf, but rather your script must provide the
headers (to be returned by mod_perl).  However, when you just say "mod_perl
will send headers" it is misleading; it seems to indeicate that mod_perl
will send "Content-Type: text/html\r\n\r\n" all by itself, and that
conversely, to disable that PerlSendHeaders should be Off.

> > I recognize this confusion. Most recovering CGI programmers think that
> > "PerlSendHeader On" means that you no longer have to do this in your
CGI:

> >     print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
> >
> > When in fact you still do. The manpage makes it sound like you don't.
> > Perhaps a note to that effect would be helpful.
>
> I certainly want newbies to understand the docs, but the man page does say
> very explicitly "Just as with mod_cgi, PerlSendHeader will not send the
> MIME type and a terminating double newline.  Your script must send that
> itself..."

Those were the lines that finally caused me to even try it the other way.
But although they are there, they took me a long time to comprehend after
the previous (and even possibly subsequent) misunderstandings.

    Issac