Stas,

Sounds like you agree with me that downgrading locks from exclusive to
shared is not a problem with the method I described in the last e-mail.

Now you have a concern with upgrading locks from shared to exclusive:

> David, please consider this scenario:
>
> ... At some point in time, processes A and B both read from the dbm via SH
> lock.
>
> 1. A completes its reading and unlocks the DBM, while still having the
> first 4k cached. (A still has the dbm tie()'d.
>
> 2. B wants to write, so it requests an EX lock and gets it granted.

This will not happen. When B requests the EX lock it will block until all of
the other shared locks have been released. Process A has to release the SH
lock somehow for B to get the EX lock. Either A simply finishes and releases
the lock, or A requests an upgrade, is denied, and handles this by releasing
the lock.

When the EX lock is granted (whether from an upgrade or not), by definition
no other processes can have a SH lock and be reading the database. No other
processes can have a first 4k cached because no other processes can have the
file open.

>From the flock manpage: "A single file may not simultaneously have both
shared and exclusive locks."

> 3. B modifies the data in the first 4k, syncs it and releases the lock.
>
> 4. A asks for SH or EX lock, gets it, but its cache is invalid.
>
> => we have a data corruption (especially in the case A does writing into
> the first 4k)

David Harris
President, DRH Internet Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]