I understand the forking model of Apache, and what that means in terms of
data initialized in the start-up phase being ready-to-go in each child
process. But what I need to do is manage it so that a particular value is
shared between all children, such that changes made by one are recognized
by the others. In a simple case, imagine wanting to count how many times
total the given handler is invoked. Bumping a global counter will still be
local to the given child process, and if part of the handler's interface is
to report this counter value, then the reported number is going to be
dependent upon which child answers the request.

I'm needing to implement a handler that uses a true Singleton pattern for
the class instance. One per server, not just one per process (or thread).

Randy
Randy J. Ray     | Buy a copy of a baby naming book and you'll never be at a
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | loss for variable names. Fred is a wonderful name, and easy
+1 408 543-9482  | to type. --Roedy Green, "How To Write Unmaintainable Code"