I'm using 2 servers - static on front end + mod_perl/mason on the back.
 Here are my rewrite rules (the reason you see dollar signs with
$user/$port/$perlport are because I'm using mod_macro):

# proxy everything that's not static or images to mod_perl
Options -Indexes
RewriteEngine       On
#RewriteLog             /tmp/rewrite.log-$user
RewriteLogLevel     0
RewriteRule         ^/static/ - [L]
RewriteRule         ^/images/ - [L]

# deal with trailing slash problem
RewriteCond    /home/httpd/$user/comp_root/htdocs%{REQUEST_FILENAME}
-d
RewriteRule    ^(.+[^/])$           $1/  [R]

RewriteRule         ^/(.*)  http://%{SERVER_NAME}:$perlport/$1 [P]
ProxyPassReverse    /   http://%{SERVER_NAME}/

--- rene mendoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i ve been reading the mod perl guide and ive learned that i dont want
> to use apache child processes to serve static html or images, so i
> want to implement a lightweight (only mod_dav and cgi enabled apache
> server, lots of child processes) and a heavy mod perl apache server 5
> or 10 apache processes/
>
> does anybody has pointers, or tips of where to start? how to
> configure that only static content of a virtual host goes thru one
> server and dynamic goes thru another.
>
> im using Mason in the mod_perl enabled apache
>
> is it done with mod_rewrite?, should both servers be ssl enabled?
>
> thanks
> rene mendoza

=====
Barry Hoggard