Hi!

I have had similar problems with Linux. I have tried with different
combinations:
* perl versions 5.005_3, 5.6.0, 5.6.1, ActivePerl 5.6.0
* apache versions from 1.3.9 - 1.3.19
* with and without dso
* never with php

The combination that seems to work now for us is apache_1.3.14,
mod_perl-1.24_01, mod_ssl-2.7.1-1.3.14, openssl-0.9.6, ApacheJServ-1.1.2
and 5.005_03 built for i386-linux. All are compiled statically in RedHat
6.2 with updates.

Now I have two candidates for the possible cause:
* the order in which the modules are loaded
* autoindex (I use Apache::AutoIndex 0.08)

To test with the module order, I put ClearModuleList in the top of the
httpd.conf and then add with 'AddModule' all the modules (by running
'httpd -l'). Make sure that the mod_perl is the last module to be
loaded. Now (all?) the earlier segfaults are gone. Maybe the installation
loads the modules in a different order? Maybe ClearModuleList clears
things? ;-)

To test the autoindex, I have used Apache::AutoIndex. When using it
(without the earlier ClearModuleList thing!) I got child segfaults, but
commenting the module helped to get dirlist working. I don't think there
is something wrong with the Apache::AutoIndex. I just think that it may
have something to do with the earlier module loading order. Maybe
Apache::AutoIndex cannot get initialized because the wrong order?

Anyway, there seem to be quite a lot discussion about this and one of the
most interesting url was:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&ic=1&th=2f313f40da3371e1&seekm=3A8D2990.ECF363B9%40zrz.TU-Berlin.de
(from groups.google.com with 'segmentation AddModule mod_perl' you can
find others)

Best luck!

--

Kari Nurmela,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], (02) 333 8847 / (0400) 786 547