> Or at the very least, two segments thereof:
>
>       domain=.org.tld
>
> Which would be sent to any of these hosts:
>
>       www.org.tld
>       some.obscure.server.org.tld
>       even.here.org.tld
>
> BUT NOT TO
>
>       ord.tlg
>
> Thank you very four-borking-days-lost-forever much.
>
> So, patient gurus laughing-up-your-sleeves, who've known this
> from the beginning and have only been waiting for grashopper to
> come to the epiphany on his own, would you mind sharing with us
> lesser folk... HOW to have cookies work for bare-domain hosts
> such as
>
>       this.org
>       something.net
>       my.tld
>
> to operate as aliases for more specific-style sites such as
>
>       www.this.org
>       www.something.net
>       a.very.deep.and.remote.server.my.tld

you have it right at the top.
assuming you are operating in org.tld, so www.org.tld and modperl.org.tld
are valid boxes, then you send the domain string as ".$domain".  This one
cost me about a week, so don't feel too bad!

Until now, you've been dealing with not even seeing the cookie header (in
the raw req).  Once the raw req has the right info, (e.g. the Set-Cookie:
header), then it comes down to verifying the info IN the headers. <sigh>

DON'T EXPECT TO SET A COOKIE FOR MULTIPLE DOMAINS.  If you set a cookie for
.this.org, it's not a part of the technology to allow the same cookie to
work w/ .something.net as well.  ALTHO: There's nothing stopping you from
setting cookies from perl.this.org for the .something.org domain if you
expect to go back and forth.

HTH, and good luck!

L8r,
Rob