Mod_perlers,

I have a problem with Apache and was looking for your thoughts on my problem
or some additional mailing lists more focused on just Apache.

I have 70 httpd daemons running and some of them just appear to hang.  As
time goes by, the number of hung processes increases such that there are no
working ones left to perform real work.  Consequently transaction processing
performance drops eventually to zero.

Our web transactions running through these httpd daemons should not take
more than 60 seconds in a worst case scenario.  Yet, some of these 'hung'
processes have been on the same transaction for over 30 hours.  I
originally thought that this was a mod_perl problem and was buried in the
CGI/Perl routines performing the transactions.  However, upon closer
inspection, I have found that these hanging processes are also running JAVA
servlets and gif gets.  This makes me suspect that it is an Apache problem.

I ran truss on the hung processes and found that they fell into two camps.
The first group was sitting at a read system call.  The second group was in
a loop with sigalarm going off every 10 seconds.

We are running the following:

   Hardware: Sun Ultra-250
         OS: Solaris 5.7 patch level 106541-12
     Apache: Apache/1.3.11 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1.2 mod_perl/1.24
             secured_by_Raven/1.4.2

Any ideas, thoughts, and comments are welcome.  Thanks.

Kevin