On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 11:50:31PM -0600, Mark Holt wrote:
> parsing the .htaccess files is what I'm trying to avoid.  I want the standard apache
> module to do that.  I just want to control *when*.

have you considered breaking up the apache instances, maybe?
might be a bad idea, but i thot i'd suggest it...

if paid-vs-free hosts are reasnably well-known at server
startup, and there's not lots of changeover from one group to
another, maybe you can break the server up into two instances?
one for paid (looking at the .htaccess files) and another for
freebies (ignore .htaccess files)...

--
my other .signature is really witty.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]