Very nice! Uses standard template system from CPAN instead of your own (a
plus).

I think the naming system is quite reasonable given that consists of
multiple apache handlers for the application.

Although one thing that maybe would be worth raising right now is that
perhaps applications versus handlers on CPAN would be better off as

Apache::App::XXXXX

Rather than the core Apache::XXXX space.

So Apache::Auth::XXXX for auth handlers
Apache::App::XXXX for applications

Right now there are so many Apache::XXXX and it's hard to tell without
going in what it is considered an application and what is considered a
piece to add to your toolkit of utilities.

Another useful thing would be to give a brief history about why you wrote
this. Not too many people write applications to give away as evidenced on
this list -- usually because of concerns that the time that went into
writing the app needs to be recouped by ROI.

What is it about this application that allowed it genesis. Do you work for
a University that needed something like this and they were amenable to open
sourcing? Or did you work for a dotcom that specialized in domain name
stuff (I know I've written at least one domain name registration web app
several years ago) thats now dead and is allowing you to open souce your
prior work? Or working for some place right now that is allowing you to
open source? Or something else?

Thanks,
       Gunther

At 10:58 PM 5/13/01 +0200, Thomas Eibner wrote:
>Hoping it's okay to post stuff like this on the list.
>
>The scoop:
>
>DnsZone is a webbased multiuser interface for managing dns zones in Bind
>running under Apache/mod_perl.
>
>So if this does not sound like anything you would want to use, just skip
>this mail.
>
>Specifics:
>
>DnsZone allows users to change their own zones without actually having
>access to the nameserver on which their zone is located. It is a multiuser
>application where each user will have his/her own login and password. From
>the interface you can add, update and delete individual records for the
>domain you are managing. Records are instantly updated in the nameserver
>and changes will be visible instantly.
>Currently only MySQL is supported as the backend database (Oracle is there
>too, but not tested), but as soon as time (or contributions) permits
>DnsZone will have support for a larger amount of databases.
>Types of dns records currently supported: SOA, A, CNAME, MX, NS, TXT.
>The user interface supports multiple languages and currently comes with
>English, Danish, German, Swedish, Italian and French language files.
>The user interface can be tailored to fit your needs by the use of
>templates (using CGI::FastTemplate).
>
>How:
>
>It uses the features of RFC2136 (Dynamic Updates) to maintain the zones in
>a nameserver running BIND. This means that it does not need to have
>anything running on the actual nameserver other than BIND itself.
>
>Website: http://www.dnszone.org/
>
>Demo: http://demo.dnszone.org/ (Please keep the language in English so
>others can read it too)
>
>Download: http://www.dnszone.org/dist/
>
>I am currently looking for testers as well as comments on the project.
>
>Does it belong on CPAN and what would a good namespace be if so? I've kept
>the current naming similar to Axkit with, DnsZone.pm, Apache::DnsZone.pm
>and Apache::DnsZone::, is that fine?
>
>that's all for now,
>
>--
>Thomas Eibner - <http://thomas.eibner.dk/>

Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
eXtropia - The Open Web Technology Company
http://www.eXtropia.com/