I got it working alright with the <Directory> directive as follows
<Directory /home/user/html/>
    SetHandler perl-script
    AuthType Consignline
    AuthName NONE
    PerlAuthenHandler Consignline::Shop::User
    PerlAuthzHandler Consignline::Shop::User->authorize
    require valid-user
    PerlHandler Consignline::Shop
    PerlSetVar DEBUG 6
    PerlSetVar Config /home/user/Consignline.pm
  </Directory>
  <Directory /home/user/html/admin/>
    AuthName Admin
    require user administrator
  </Directory>
  <Directory /home/user/html/affiliate/admin/>
    AuthName affiliate
    require group affiliate
  </Directory>

will the above not work the same using the location directive?  It didn't for
me unless I missed something obvious.

Thanks for your responses.