On Friday, June 1, 2001, at 08:33  am, Ged Haywood wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Martin Redington wrote:
>
>> I'm having some some difficulties with Apache 1.3.19 and
>> mod_perl/mod_php. [On Mac OS X]
>
> Never built on the Mac myself, some people had trouble, looks like
> you're
> an expert.

I was lucky enough to have built everything before, on Linux, and to
have the
hints and tips from the stepwise and Mac OS Hints crew ...

>  From what I see on the mod_perl List about mod_perl and PHP on
> *other* operating systems they don't always play together too well so
> you
> perhaps can expect a few teething problems.

I'm pretty sure  that this is OS X specific. The dyld issue with
multiple definitions is a known issue (see the libtool man page). Apache
contains a patch which installs error handlers for multiple definitions,
which ignores them (although its not clear to me if this code actually
get compiled on OS X, there's a change note for Apache that suggests its
no longer required).

> Have you been keeping an eye on the mod_perl lists lately at all?
>
> The reason I ask is that there have been some recent discussions about
> mod_perl on MacOS X and if you've not seen them it might be worth your
> while browsing.  Only in the last few weeks, maybe a couple of months.

I've searched the mod_perl (and other) archive(s) pretty extensively. Try
google with 'Mac OS X dyld multiple definitions" to see some posts. Lots
of people
seem to have hit the dyld problem with one thing or another (python is
another one),
but no-one's posted any good info on fixes for it.

> Sorry if this isn't too much help.  Maybe you'll get something more
> concrete when people start to disagree with me. :)

I hope so. Right now it seems like no-one is running
apache/mod_perl/mod_php with Apache::DBI
(if you are, and can get it to work, *please* let me know how you did
it) ...