=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs_Lasso_S=E1nchez?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi James,
>
>  I'm working on a similar project with a farm of web servers that must to
>access data in a LDAP server. May you explain something more about the
>application you use in your work, please?. We're thinking to develope a
>little daemon with opened persistent connections to the LDAP server and use
>this daemon as a gateway between the web servers and the LDAP. but may be
>your solution will be more reliable and standard than our.

(CCing the list since this is a follow-on to the discussion there.)

Well, we're still in the middle of development, and it's in PHP, but the
protocol and idea are the same -- we could do it in Perl with the SOAP::Lite
module (and I am getting tempted to go that direction if I can't get PHP and
Apache to compile together under Irix).

Basically, we're wanting to have the web farm on a private network so we can
trust the hosts that make the XML-RPC requests -- they send an LDIF to the
XML-RPC server along with a list of LDAP objects on which the server should
lock (so we can serialize modifications across branches).  The central server
then uses ldapmodify to push the LDIF into LDAP (a suppos\'ed atomic
operation) and at the same time maintains an audit trail.

There's really not a whole lot to it.  When I get the code finished though, I
am wanting to release it.  Hopefully by the end of August at the latest since
we are going production at the beginning of August.
--
James Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 979-862-3725
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix