Okay, I'm confused now.  I thought those binaries were just for people who
didn't have a win32 compiler handy.  Don't they just use the regular source
tree?  I build mod_perl off of the apache source using nmake and visual c++.

Here's a test:  make a frameset with three panes.  In the first two, call a
mod_perl script that prints the time, pauses for 5 seconds, then prints the
time again.  The third one should just be a static image.  When you try to
load the page, you'll know if isn't running multithreaded if the panes in
the frameset load sequentially; as in the second pane loads only after the
first is finished.  This request takes 10 seconds on my build, instead of
the 5 it should take if both scripts ran concurrently.

The problem I have is that my site uses a mod_perl content handler on nearly
every html page for dynamic content.  Obviously, running requests one a time
would not work.  I really hope there is a solution for this, because
otherwise I have to figure out how to duplicate this in IIS (which means
make an ISAPI extension and embedding perl in it... multithreaded perl at
that).  I'd like to stick with Apache, because I can move to Apache 2
eventually, if I change to IIS, I probably can never go back.

What's the verdict: am I simply damned to IIS?

-Tom