> me, on the other hand, i don't see the problem with
>
>       on incoming request
>         if has-cookie 'session'
>         {
>           update serverside 'accesstime' for session[this] to NOW
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                Oh yeah?  HOW???

>           if not-modified-since
>             report same
>           else {
>             send headers w/ cookie
>             generate page
>           }
>         }
>         else
>           redirect to login page
>
> doesn't look unmanageable to me (until someone shows me the
> light, of course)...?

How many sessions/day are you running?  How big is your DB?  How much
processor do you have to throw at this? (these are the hurdles for storing
serverside info).

OTOH, what *benefit* is derived from storing all of this stuff serverside?

And how about: for the page in question, make an invisible frameset.  Use
the request for the FRAMESET (or the invisible frame) to update cookies,
etc, and when the main frame is requested, 304 has already been determined
but timestamps are properly updated.

yes? no?

L8r,
Rob