On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 09:34:18PM -0500, Matt Glosson wrote:
> Hello. I've searched the internet and found many things relating to this,
> but I thought I would present my own specific problem. I'm trying to install
> mod_perl with IBM HTTP Server (which is really just apache 1.3.12) on AIX
> 4.3.3.
>
> Everything installs fine, but when I tried to use Net::LDAP, apache
> segfaults.
> When I analyze the core file, I'm told that boot_IO is where the problem
> occurred.
> Has anyone conquered this problem? The mod_perl readme says that if you are
> installing on AIX with perl 5.00503 you have to apply a patch to prevent
> segfaulting when an XS module is called. I applied it and re-compiled.
>
> I also tried using perl 5.6.1, which yielded the same results. I've traced
> it
> down to the 'use IO::Handle;' clause. I'm using the VisualAge C (vac)
> compiler
> to compile everything (gcc hasn't worked very well for most things on this
> platform.)

Well, I repeat a post from me in April here:

There have been quite a few problems getting modperl and assorted
sub-modules to work since the change that httpd uses the AIX native
dlopen under AIX 4.3 and above. In particular this conflicts with perl,
as this still uses the dlopen emulation code. Older AIX versions where
both httpd and perl use the dlopen layer are not affected.

I have put together a patch to Apache, perl and modperl that also turns
on runtime linking (-brtl), which makes the AIX dynamic loading behave
more like the ELF style dynamic linking. In particular this fixes
problems with modules like Apache::Request and HTML::Embperl that need
to reference symbols from both httpd and modperl with modperl either
linked statically into httpd or as DSO.

Perl after this patch also uses the AIX native dlopen, thus if you need
binary compatibility to older compiled perl modules do not use this
patch. The dlopen emulation code used deferred imports which the native
dlopen does not handle.

The patch is in three parts and can be found at:

<http://www.han.de/~jum/aix/>

download the following files:

apache_1.3.19.rtl.patch
modperl.rtl.patch
perl-5.6.1.dlopen.patch

The apache_1.3.19.rtl.patch does also apply to 1.3.20 cleanly.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3