On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Jie Gao wrote:

> This is different from what I have been hearing for the past few years:
>
>     Solaris' malloc is better than perl's.

you're right, i just found this in the 5.6.1 announcement:

:    On some systems (IRIX and Solaris among them) the system malloc is
:    demonstrably better. While the defaults haven't been changed in order to
:    retain binary compatibility with earlier releases, you may be better off
:    building perl with "Configure -Uusemymalloc ..." as discussed in the
:    INSTALL file.

that's good news, to bad it isn't the default, sure would save alot of
trouble.  i will change the Makefile.PL verbage.