well, I was going to leave this thread alone now, but I feel the need to
justify myself on this one issue - I wrote that email a bit bleery-eyed...

of course you need to know what your config contains.  what I meant was that
relying on the PerlModule syntax to allow you to call
Apache::DBI->connect_on_init from your startup.pl was less than solid coding
- it's the same as not use()ing modules from the scripts that require them
(you didn't get that thought from what I wrote?  I can't imagine why ;).  as
for the rest of Apache::DBI you're right, it's transparent so it doesn't
matter where you load it - as long as you understand the
action-at-a-distance concept, and are comfortable with it, you're ok...

anyway, nuff said.  Gunther and Ken tied things up nicely.

--Geoff