Thanks everyone for their help, I tried all the suggestions with no
luck, and I definitely configured Apache without expat. I finally
ended up parsing the XML in perl instead of using Expat. Since I
already had handlers, it was quite easy, although still needs better
validation and error handling.

When I get a chance I'll see if this works on mod_perl 2.0. If anyone
does get this to work on Solaris 2.8 x86, please let me know.

Thanks, Scott

#!./perl
use DBD::Oracle;
use XML::Parser::Expat;
my $parser = new XML::Parser::Expat;

# perl-5.6.1
# mod_perl-1.26
# apache 1.3.20
# expat-1.95.1
# DBD-Oracle-1.06
# DBI-1.15
# XML-Parser-2.30

# config_args='-Dcc=gcc -Ubincompat5005 -Uuselargefiles -Uusemymalloc -des'