Sun wants to sell you it's Forte for C (formerly known as the Sun
Workshop compiler).  There's a hundred reasons to use the sun compiler
over gcc, and one pretty big reason why you you don't want to use it.
If you can get it into your budget, by all means go for the real Sun
compiler.  It generates code that is highly optimized for sparc
hardware, particularly if you are running multiple processors.  If
nothing else, request a time limited demo license from Sun so you can
build mod_perl (and every other module you think you'll ever need off of
CPAN).