On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Jim Smith wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 08:12:25PM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > This is a proposal for the mod_perl 2.0 documentation project.
>
>  Sounds good.
>
> > + each project will have its pumpkin which will make sure that all
> >   chapters of the project adher to the same style, avoid duplication,
> >   etc.
> >
> > + inside each project, every chapter will have its own pumpkin, whose
> >   responsibility will be to maintain the documentation of the given
> >   chapter. Other contributors will delegate their patches to the
> >   chapter pumpkins and the latter will incorporate the changes into
> >   the document.
> >
> > + I'll start as the doc pumkin for the whole project and all
> >   sub-projects and will seek to delegate the sub-projects to other
> >   folks, as I won't be able to cope with such a big beast anymore.
>
> I think we might need a pumpkin that can cross-reference sections.  For
> example, Session management under Mason might go under Mason or Session
> management.  Whichever part doesn't have the text needs a reference to the
> one that does.  (A topic that came up recently on the Mason list.)  This is
> more of a benefit to people that are not familiar with the mod_perl
> universe and can cut down on fruitless searching.  If it isn't
> cross-referenced, it probably is either not there, or hidden so deeply that
> it needs to be pointed out by someone.
>
> Basically, this would be someone responsible for the `See Also's at the end
> of each section, article, or what-not.  That way, the chapter and project
> pumpkins can concentrate on their parts of the whole and not feel that they
> have to constantly be watching everything else.

Sure. The intention for the guides to deploy hypertext features, and do
lots of internal linking inside every guide and between the guides. This
of course makes it hard to read the printed material, but I don't think we
can do much about this. Unless we decide to build a fully fledged
publishing system, without adding a huge overhead of using TeX or similar
things used in real publishing.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://eXtropia.com/