> > > No need for an apology :-) The trick is to build perl using the
> > > Solaris malloc (-Dusemymalloc as a flag to Configure), then apache,
> > > mod_perl and perl all agree on who manages memory.
> >
> > Might I suggest that this golden piece of information find it's
> > way into the guide?  It's so rare to see a DEFINITIVE answer to
> > one of the many ("YMMV!" :-) exceptions to the vanilla mod_perl
> > build process.
>
> The definitive answer is there for at least 2 years: "If in doubt compile
> statically", which covers Solaris as well. Why having a special case?

Because the admonition to -Dusemymalloc is not the same as, nor easily
deduce-able from, advice to compile static.  The guy who had the problem
that started this thread did "everything right," i.e. use the same compiler,
start from fresh sources, compile static, no Expat, yet he still had
segfaults.

Maybe the Guide ISN'T the best place.  Maybe the best place is mod_perl's
INSTALL document.  But somehow I'd be willing to bet that this advice holds
true for earlier versions than, oh, the NEXT release of mod_perl... which is
where/when such a change to INSTALL would be for those of us who aren't yet
brave enough to use the CVS version daily.

L8r,
Rob

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use Disclaimer qw/:standard/;