Philip,

PM>I have a RaQ4i server (450MHz AMD K-6 processor). If I have 20 mod_perl
PM>httpd processes running concurrently, then the system's load average goes
PM>up over 10.0 and CPU usage is 100%. The machine has RAM to spare, so
PM>swapping is not the problem.

If you have top installed, try "top -o cpu -b" (list of processes sorted
by CPU usage). You should see several httpd processes using up lots of CPU
if your mod_perl processes are indeed at fault. Then check mod_status to
see what requests those corresponding httpd processes are processing. If
all of them are running a certain script, it's likely that script has an
infinite loop or other resource-sucking problem in it.

If ALL your httpd processes are sucking up lots of CPU, then it's like
something else altogether, perhaps a bad global configuration or
TransHandler.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Engineer                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101