On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:25:19PM -0700, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Nick Tonkin wrote:
>
> > ( In the absence of any better ideas at this time, I'm gonna nuke
> >   /usr/local/lib/perl5 completely and see what happens if I start over
> >   again. )
>
> On FreeBSD, better do a new installation of perl somewhere else
> (/home/perl, /usr/local/perl/, ... whatever) and do all the mod_perl
> stuff with that (just use "/home/perl/bin/perl Makefile.PL" and
> "/home/perl/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell" and so on later).

In my experience, its better to stick with the FreeBSD installed perl.
I used to upgrade to perl 5.6.1 whenever cpan wanted to, but it created
too many problems, for one, it seems that FreeBSD installed libperl.so, etc
to /usr/lib.  When I reinstalled perl, it would put them in /user/local/lib.
I would also have a libperl.a in both of those directories.

Furthurmore, after installing mod_perl (I think it was mod_perl that put
this there) I would have one in
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-freebsd/CORE/libperl.a

Having these 3 versions really screwed things over, so when I tried to
install mod_perl, mod_php, and mod_ssl (latest versions) it would fail
with a Dynaloader.o undefined reference error.  After re-making world,
all works fine, and I'm not upgrading perl on this until freebsd wants
to again :)

So in my opinion its much better to not even mess with upgrading perl
on FreeBSD, too many problems.  Though there might be a good way to do
it that I'm not aware of.

-Andrew Hurst

>  - ask
>
> --