> the parent
> > > Yes, yes.
> >
> > Don't open a connection during startup.  If you do, it will be
> shared when
> > Apache forks, and sharing a database handle is bad for the same reasons
> > sharig a file handle is.  Open a connection in the child
> process instead.
> > You can use connect_on_init() from Apache::DBI if you like.
> I misunderstood you. I was using connect_on_init. With or without
> Apache::DBI, it fails

I've SEEN this.  It SUCKED.  Then I figured it out.  And *IF* it's the same
thing, then:

ORACLE has to be reconfigured, to allow more connections.  By default, there
is a PROCESS max (200), because Oracle spawns a new process per connection.
And then there is a WHOLE different operating mode, called MTS.  You have to
modify init.ora and activate MTS.  The relevant section from MY Oracle
config (8.1.5 or 8.1.6, I forget):

# # This parameter turns on MTS
mts_servers = 1                 # min value

mts_max_dispatchers = 5         # max value
mts_dispatchers = "(PROTOCOL=TCP)(DISPATCHERS=2)"
sessions = 1500

HTH!!!!

L8r,
Rob