On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Mathew Benson wrote:

Hi,

>   I know you helped me before, but I had to rebuild my server and now I'm
> having the same problem as before.  I changed my ServerName directive to the
> correct IP address (I don't have a DNS name).  These are the only other
> changes I made to httpd.conf:
>
> # FOR MOD_PERL:
> PerlModule Apache::Registry
> KeepAlive Off
>
> Alias /dm/ /var/www/html/dm/
> <Location /dm>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler Apache::Registry
> Options ExecCGI
> allow from all
> PerlSendHeader On
> </Location>
>
> Redirect /demarc http://10.1.6.42/dm/demarc

Looks quite sound to me...

>   I originally tried making the changes you suggested before, but that
> didn't do anything. The source code still came straight through.

Which source code shows up? Your "DirectoryIndex" script, or another
file? (I suppose a perl-source, not the html-source, otherwise you need
to check mime-types)

>   I know  the perl script works, because I can run it from the
> console. After playing with things I was able to get the browser to sit
> there for a few seconds, and display a server error message.

According to their documentation I skimmed, using mod_perl is
optional. Perhaps you might want to run it on plain mod_cgi to test it all
out? Once it runs through the web, then throw in mod_perl again.

What modifications did you made, what were the resulting http-errors, and
what was the error.log telling you when you were playing around?

>   I've since learned that the documentation from the www.demarc.org site on
> installing the software is lacking and very problematic.  One change I had
> to make was to the base html directory.  Their instructions say that it
> would be /usr/local/www/, but on my machine it was /var/www/html/.

You could try a grep on their code to check for the /local/www/ path, they
could have some nasty hard-coded ones (they probably won't be the
first)...

>   The strangest thing is when I tried to hit http://10.1.6.42/demarc, I got
> a bunch of pop ups saying something about the server sending a certificate.
> I was browsing the page from my Linux box and the text is very small and
> hard to read, so I just kept clicking Ok and Next.  It finally redirected to
> http://10.1.6.42/dm/demarc, but wound up with the same server error.  I
> didn't setup https, so I don't understand why it would have sent the browser
> a certificate.

What is the result when you requested the document directly (like with
telnet or a lwp-request). This should turn out to be a redirect
response. Try every followiung request manually in the same, since
brwosers might do _lot's_ of things you hardly notice.

>   Any help would be much appreciated.  I'm helping somebody else install the
> same software, so I imagine he's going to run into same problem and I'd like
> to be able help him through it.

Bye,
Remco

P.S: Please use the mod_perl maillinglist as addressee or at least as
"CC", since more people will read it and can be able to help you solve
your problem, thus including more expertism. This might lead to faster /
better help.