>> Uhh... good point, except that I don't trust the Cache code.  The
>> AUTHOR isn't ready to put his stamp of approval on the
>> locking/updating.

Perrin> That sort of hesitancy is typical of CPAN.  I wouldn't worry
Perrin> about it.  I think I remember Randal saying he helped a bit
Perrin> with that part.

I helped with the code that ensures that *file* writes are atomic
updates.  I taught DeWitt the trick of writing to a temp file, then
renaming when ready, so that any readers see only the old file or the
new file, but never a partially written file.

I don't think Cache::Cache has enough logic for an "atomic
read-modify-write" in any of its modes to implement (for example) a
web hit counter.  It has only "atomic write".  The "last write wins"
strategy is fine for caching, but not for transacting, so I can see
why Rob is a bit puzzled.

It'd be nice if we could build a generic "atomic read-modify-write",
but now we're back to Apache::Session, which in spite of its name
works fine away from Apache. :)

Caching.  An area of interest of mine, but I still don't seem to get
around to really writing the framework I want, so all I can do is keep
lobbing grenades into the parts I don't want. :) :) Sorry guys. :)