> What really makes mod_perl better than Java?

This is a common thread, which you should look up in the archives.  It's
best to avoid starting up a discussion with this vague a question, since it
will lead to a flood of advocacy e-mails.

> Didn't the eToys guys do some benchmarking? (Perrin?)

We did.  We knew we were going to use Linux, so we took the fastest Java
stuff (Resin + IBM's JVM) and wrote a quick test servlet to select some
stuff from Oracle and display it.  When we ran the same thing under
mod_perl, Perl was a little bit faster.  Note that Caucho has some
benchmarks they published which are not very good since they have poorly
optimized Perl code (it's a Registry script, not a handler).

When we saw that Perl was just as fast, we had no reason to switch from a
productive platform that we all liked to one that only some of our team had
skills on.

- Perrin