stable:

1. Install libexpat.
2. Install perl
3. Install XML::Parser 2.30
4. Install mod_perl and Apache, telling mod_perl to build Apache for you.
  ** Do not use APXS to build mod_perl **

The recipe in the AxKit INSTALL file seems to work best for people doing XML
stuff inside mod_perl:

 $ perl Makefile.PL \
 > EVERYTHING=1 \
 > USE_APACI=1 \
 > DYNAMIC=1 \
 > APACHE_PREFIX=/opt/apache \
 > APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.22/src \
 > DO_HTTPD=1 \
 > APACI_ARGS="--enable-module=so --enable-shared=info
 > --enable-shared=proxy --enable-shared=rewrite
 > --enable-shared=log_agent"
 $ make
 $ su
 $ make install

However, that also builds Apache with --disable-rule=expat, so it might
kinda defeat your purpose :-) If you *really* need the expat in Apache, I
think you can add in there --enable-rule=expat, but I haven't tried it.

If all that fails, switch to XML::LibXML or XML::SAX::PurePerl (actually,
think about doing that anyway :-)

Matt.