Philip Mak wrote:

> Recently, I've been using Apache::ASP to program a new version of an
> existing website that gets over 5 million page views per month. This
> website will have to fit on a RaQ4i (450MHz) server, so I'm pretty
> conscious about performance. Security is also important due to the
> popularity of the site.
>
> I've read various documentation and combined them together into the
> following strategy for security and performance on a mod_perl driven
> website. I haven't seen these combined strategies formally written up
> anywhere, so I thought I would try to do that and ask you guys for
> suggestions. This is a bit unorganized right now, but all the general
> concepts should be there. The goal is to produce a document that
> explains all the principles, and shows all the configuration
> directives required to accomplish this.

I'm afraid there is no such a thing as a single detailed performance
scenario fitting all users of mod_perl, I'd even say even a big chunk of
users. Each user has a different hw, different requirements, different
amount of $$, in-house knowledge and what not. So IMHO it'd be a mistake
to even try to write an ultimate performance document. Hmm, may be such
a thing could exist in winXX world, I don't know.

You're heartly welcome to help to improve the existing documentation,
which already sports I think about 200 printed pages of various
scenarious, tips and tricks which comprise a "Lego"-like set for
everybody to learn from and build their own bridge, their own monster
and their own crane, using common components.

Please don't create another documentation fork, unless you really have
to, since it's so much easier for people to read all the docs from one
place, rather than jumping between many scattered docs and of course
avoid efforts duplication.

Quite a few people have complained to me that while the mod_perl guide
includes a lot of performance improvement techniques, it doesn't help
newbies to make the right choice in first place. So they have to try a
few of them first, before making the right choice. So if that's what you
think is missing you are welcome to try to fill the gap, but personally
I doubt it's possible for the reasons I've mentioned above and many
other reasons.

I just want to repeat that any attempt to improve the existing
documentation and add new docs is very welcome and the 2.0 documentation
project is going be the next cool thing if enough people will get
involved and give help. You can check the modperl-docs cvs repository to
see what's there so far.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://ticketmaster.com http://apacheweek.com