Hello,

PH>If you do use BerkeleyDB, I suggest you just use the simple
PH>database-level lock. Otherwise, you have to think about deadlocks and I
PH>found the deadlock daemon that comes with it kind of difficult to use.

Later versions of BerkeleyDB have a row-level lock available which works
pretty transparently. However, this works using mmap() so it won't work if
your BerkeleyDB file(s) is/are mounted via NFS. flock()'s scalability over
NFS using lockd under Solaris is also questionable so many people end up
implementing their own database-level lock using, say, atomic moves. It's
an icky world out there.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Engineer                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.       1-800-555-TELL            Fax 650-930-9101