Unfortunatly, I find myself with a silly newbie question:

I need to make an Apache module (not a Registry script) which will:

1. Check for a cookie, and if not there, pushhandler to a module for
logging in (keeping the original request at hand for use after they
succeed in logging in).
2. Extract data from the cookie (encrypted for security?)
3. Based on data from both the query string ($r->args?) and from data in
the cookie, pushhandler to another module.

I have looked at Apache::AuthCookie - it didn't seem to make much sense
to me.  Apache::Session looks promising, but the instructions don't say
how to set up the mysql tables, etc. My worst problem is that I haven't
had occasion to deal with cookies much (setting, checking,etc.) in the
past and I know this is hampering my understanding.

Can anyone give me a general overview (use this module, this way, etc.)?

I'm not totally new to Apache Modules, but my experience is gleaned from
writing modules already pushed into the handler stack by
PerlTransHandlers written by someone else. I don't want to use
PerlTransHandler, just PerlHandler, so I can use <Location> in
perl.conf.

In conclusion: I'm making a system/site where no .html files even exist.
I need to handle security via a mysql db, and to push handlers based on
a part of the url and a piece of the cookie which identifies the user as
either a teacher, student, or parent (oops... I gave it away ;-)

Jonathon Robison