:: sorry for bothering you with a question concerning mod_perl under
:: windows (it's not that I like windows so much, it's just because I have
:: to use a windows system ...)

Same here - I'm forced to use Windows because we're a Windows only shop.
Additionally, I don't know Unix so that kind of limits my opportunities.
:-(

:: My question is:
:: 1. is there a way to get a precompiled windows version running (I don't
:: want to reset my Apache server to some ancient version!)

I have set up several Windows / Apache / mod_perl servers without any
problems whatsoever.  I would recommend the following (in order):

Download and install the latest non-v2 distribution of Apache
Download ActiveState's "ActivePerl" (http://www.activestate.com/) and
install into the Apache directory
Use "PPM" (Perl Package Manager) to download and install "mod_perl" (and any
other module you want).

Note:  You will need to add the following "PPD Repository Path" to PPM in
order to get "mod_perl":
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer

:: 2. is it worth the effort (and likely to be successful) to configure the
:: CPAN module with make- and cc-Utilities (e.g. from cygwin), and is there
:: an *easy* indication how to do it
:: or

It's possible to do it via Cygwin, but not necessary if you follow the steps
above.

As to whether or not it's worth the effort...  YES, YES, YES!!!  You have
got to see the difference between mod_perl and mod_cgi to believe it.  Once
you've worked under mod_perl, you'll will never go back to plain old CGI.

:: 3. is Apache/mod_perl and windows an invalid combination which simply
:: should not be used???

No way.  This combination works very well with some caveats (see the
documentation for details).

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Co-ordinator
West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/