I just caught the end of the discussion about Stonhenge::Pictures and
Apache::Gallery ...
I have been working on setting up a photography site for myself and a
few other digital photographers.  Is there a reason NOT to put the
images in a database?  It certainly seemed to speed up pattern searches
on my site.  The site is up in php right now (had to brush up for a
job), but will be redev'd in mod_perl once I find out what the state of
gallery management is for mod_perl.
    I've used a MySQL backend to hold the images in BLOBs (I have a
table for each of the common sizes).  Uploads go to a images table
(original size) and then the database resizes so it doesn't have to do
it on the fly.   Maybe those of us doing gallery type stuff could get
together and work on something in a more organized fashion?